The end of the semester does not only bring hope to our tired brains but a relief from the long gruelling months of academic challenges. The end marks the beginning of a four-week long community exposure. And this time around is summer. And summer offers great opportunity to break from our usual community routines. And I guess you know what I am talking about.
The moment we embarked on our return, preparations were set into place for our planned free circumcision program. We coordinated with the Barangay Council of Tinglan headed by the Village Chief Edgar Manlud and our Community preceptor Dr. Felicita L. Sampul-Reluya. Sir Edgar was more than willing and supportive of our ideas. And so the date was set on April 12, 2011.
That faithful day arrived and I saw a long queue of children waiting for their turn. Looking at them brings me back 18 years ago when I was roughly at their age. I was never excited having to undergo the so called “rite of passage.” But they are entirely different as I am; they are willing to experience the pain and to come out triumphant exclaiming “dili nako pisot...”
Luckily for me, tables have turned and I am not at the receiving end.